Login  ·  Register

Problem using MDG 101

Posted: 19 March 2010 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-02-04

I’ve just upgraded to version 101 of the MDG plugin (I was previously using 81) with EA 7.5 build 850, as we are about to start the second phase of our project for RSSB.

I’m finding it impossible to create certain types of element by dragging them into diagrams from the toolbox, i.e. nothing happens. This applies to all elements marked with the “tree hierarchy” symbol (e.g.  Organisation in the attached screenshot).

If I just import the TRAK profile, and not the MDG, then these toolbox elements now adopt a “folder” icon, and produce a popup selector when dragged onto a diagram, which seems correct to me.

Am I doing something wrong?

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

Andy

Image Attachments
Cropper Capture[1].jpeg

Posted: 19 March 2010 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-12-04

Hi, Andy.

Not, you’re not doing anything wrong and it’s not an error - it’s deliberate design.

In TRAK we have Master Architecture Views which are the master sources for specified element types within a model. For example, for Resource (System, Physical, Software, Organisation, Job, Role) the master view type is the SV-01 Solution Structure View. What this means is that any Resource has to be declared, exposed on one or more SV-01s in your model. In other words you’d create them on a SV-01 before using them in other views. This makes it easy for the reader/viewer as he/she knows where to go look to find each of object. It also helps ensure a balanced set of views.

This means, however, that there are dependencies between views and minimum allowed sets of views arise from this. This is explained in ‘MINIMUM ALLOWED TRAK ARCHITECTURE VIEW SETS’ on p106 in the TRAK Enterprise Architecture Viewpoints particularly Figure 4 and Table 4 from which an extract has been made.

In Sparx EA there isn’t a way to stop the user from creating objects in any view. What I’ve done therefore is to add icons - these show that an element is either mandatory or optional, depending on which palette it is in, but indicate that it is first created in another view and that you need to drag the object from the Project Browser.

I have also provided a note to this effect on the Wiki on the MDG Technology for TRAK site on Sourceforge.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 19 March 2010 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-02-04

Thanks for the explanation—all is clear now.

In future I’ll try to RTFM first!

Thanks

Andy

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed

© 2010 Eclectica Systems Ltd.