Login  ·  Register

Viewpoint MV-02: a chicken and egg situation?

Posted: 23 March 2010 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-01-11

I am now in the process of constructing my first model from scratch whilst attempting to follow the requirements in the Metamodel and Viewpoints standards.

At the first hurdle I am a little mystified by the specification for MV-02 (page 100 of the Architecture Viewpoints document). The question is this:

How can I express the concerns of organisations, jobs, roles, etc. in this view when those items are not supposed to be created here, and yet I’m supposed to do this view before I do anything else?

Or am I?

Clearly I have missed something here - can anyone enlighten me?

Posted: 23 March 2010 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-12-04

Hi, Joe.

I think things are a bit confused. Concern (the object) can be shown on any view. If you have a concern then you have to gather them up and make sure they appear on a MV-02 otherwise the danger is that scattering means folks don’t see the concern. The MV-02 is that master so you can’t just have the Concern on your SV-02. If you ‘declare’ all of the Concerns on an MV-02 you’ll be fine.

Having said this you will also need the SV-01 Solution Structure for the objects that you’re showing the interfaces with on the SV-02.

The minimum view set in this case is:
MV-02 Architecture Description Design Record - describes the task & findings & points to model(s) used/developed
SV-01 Solution Structure - shows the structural relationships
SV-02 Solution Resource Interaction - shows the interfaces between your things from the SV-01

This was if you want to find an object you know what type of view you’re looking for rather than any type of view.

See http://trak-community.org/index.php/forums/viewthread/15/

Posted: 23 March 2010 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-11

Yes, I think I get the idea - I’ve got to do things bit by bit and revisit MV-02 when I have concerns to express there. However, I don’t want to put myself or my audience in this model, just the stuff I built. How, then, do I correctly answer the question “what is this model for?” without a Concern by my audience which is “How does my PhD thesis work?”. Perhaps I have to?

Posted: 23 March 2010 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-11

I think I just answered my own question - I had the wrong end of the stick. Have now put my audience into the model and shown that their concerns are addressed by the model.

Posted: 23 March 2010 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-12-04

Probably best to start from the other end i.e. why is the model being created, what are the concerns/questions that need to be addressed? Who is the sponsor? i.e. start with the MV-02. From this set of concerns you’ll be able to pick the view type needed. See the section on Minimum Modelling Process in the Viewpoints document, sketched out here. The MV-02 allows you to add Architecture Task, and also placeholders for views that you’ll eventually create. It’s a good planning and context-setting view and will ensure that you don’t create views that aren’t needed.

Not sure I understand the reference about stuff vs model.

Posted: 23 March 2010 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-11

For info though, I was trying to start with MV-02 - I am trying to closely follow the Metamodel and Viewpoint standard documents that you released. I couldn’t see how I could put an organisation’s concerns on MV-02 without first having created those organisations in SV-01 - that was my point. I guess I could have put the Concerns in first, then later put in the SV and created that link there. Would that have been more sensible?

Posted: 23 March 2010 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2009-09-24

Yes, you can show part of an organisation or role as the sponsor for the architecture task using:

<<organisation>>My Org —plays—> <<role>>Sponsor —extends to—><<architecture task>> My Task

and then add <<role>>Sponsor—has—><<Concern>> First Concern and so on

and then <<architecture view>> MySV01 —-addresses—><<concern>>First Concern when you’ve figured out the views you need to create.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed

© 2010 Eclectica Systems Ltd.