Login  ·  Register

EA / Windows / TRAK compatibility “issue”?

Posted: 08 July 2010 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-02-04

I’m posting this on the off-chance that someone can throw any light on this mystery, and to prevent others having the same problem…

A colleague and I are working jointly on a TRAK model, using a shared EAP file.

I’m using XP-32 bit, EA 8 (858) and TRAK MDG and have no problems.

My colleague is using Vista-64 bit, and can only access the model using TRAK MDG with EA 7.5 (850). If he uses EA 8 with TRAK MDG, then he gets DAO.Query errors and EA crashes. If TRAK MDG is disabled, then EA 8 opens the model OK.

It’s not strictly a “bug” as it all works for me, but does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Posted: 08 July 2010 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2009-12-04

No idea.

I developed the latest version of the MDG (110) using Windows 7 / EA 8 (858) and it doesn’t generate any errors. If it’s a DAO message then the guess is that it relates to a View which is initiated when the project file is opened. From memory the ‘New Diagrams within the last 7 days’ will be run at launch. Clearly there is something vista-related but I can’t see why.

Will try the latest MDG with Vista (if I can find a VM with it on - don’t run Windows as a native OS).

What version of MDG does this happen with?

Posted: 08 July 2010 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-04

Point of clarification - I’m running Windows 7 64 bit.

Posted: 08 July 2010 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-04

The following combinations work without any of the DAO errors:

Windows 7 (64 bit)/EA 7.5 (build 850)/MDG for TRAK 0.110 / JET backend
Windows 7 (64 bit)/EA 8 (build 858)/MDG for TRAK 0.110 / JET backend
Windows XP (32 bit)/ EA 7.5 (build 850)/MDG for TRAK 0.110 / JET backend

the DAO error indicates that the project is in an EAP (JET backend) since any errors with MySQL or whatever backend would be via the ODBC driver (MDG for TRAK 0.110 has been tested with MySQL).

Sorry, I don’t have a Vista VM but in all important respects would have thought it was a close match for Windows 7. Without knowing what version of the MDG for TRAK you’re using I’d suggest using the current version 0.110 based on the above results. Please let me know what happens.

Posted: 08 July 2010 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-04

Thanks for having a look at this. We are using MDG 110 and see the problem on Vista with our TRAK model.

We’ve done a few experiments at this end too (all on Vista):

1. With EA 7.5, MDG 107, created a new model.
2. With EA 8, MDG 107 opened the model created in (1). Got DAO error 3131 “syntax error in FROM clause”. Dismissed error box. Could then use the model but the same error returned periodically (confirms View theory?)
3. Open same model with EA 8, MDG 110. Got DAO error 3219 “Invalid operation”. Dismiss error box -> EA crashes.

Could it be something to do with progressing through MDG versions on a single model? We have certainly been through quite a few versions on the RFA model.

Another experiment:
1. On XP EA 8 MDG 110, open RFA model and export to XMI.
2. On Vista EA 8 MDG 110, import XMI file into a new project. Got DAO error 3219 “Invalid operation” during the import. Crash on dismissing dialogue.
3. As (2) but with Strip GUIs enabled. Same result.

So it looks like there’s something in the model that’s upsetting one or more of the TRAK searches?

Posted: 08 July 2010 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-04

It will be the Views. Having said this they use the searches that are added by the MDG.

I can’t see why progressing through the MDGs should cause errors - they are searches after all so if you have a mix of old and new stereotypes the worst case is that some of your model doesn’t match the search conditions and is therefore not listed.

The import/export shouldn’t be affected.

There is a problem with EA 8 and old EA 7.5 EAP files I believe that relates to how the .eap records the version of JET used (it incorrectly sets the wrong version causing EA8 to crash:

As you know our EA project was built with the JET 3.0 Engine and EA 8 doesn’t like that so the EA project has to be upgraded.
The classic way to upgrade is to do so via the EA Remove Replication Wizard.

The problem was that Auditing was enabled and that changes the model file version number to 7.0 ....

So when we came to use the Remove Replication Wizard it failed because there was a mismatch between the base eap file (4.01) and our eap file (7.0).

so it might be a combination of OS + JET version?

What I can do is create a special-to-type version of the MDG with the checking/notification disabled (the normal behaviour is that every so long the new diagrams query is triggered). It would then help me if you could then open each search (not the view) and report back any errors you get on the Vista platform. I still don’t understand why Vista complains unless there is a different version of DAO.

Posted: 08 July 2010 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-04

I’m emailing a file that contains ONLY the MDG i.e. not the template model (so it is a straight replacement but not complete).

I’ve had to remove all the Views as there is no other way to stop the searches they’re based on from executing at project opening.

If you can try each search in turn and see which causes the problems with Vista / EA 7.5 (850) then we’ll have the basis for a support request to Sparx. At the moment it’s too broad.

Posted: 08 July 2010 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-04

Andy - can you try a control test i.e.

1) create a model using EA 8 ...
2) create a model using EA 7.5 ...

if there are any differences then it’s likely the root cause is the version of JET vs version of EA (the MDG just exposes the problem).

Posted: 08 July 2010 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-04

Thanks for the modified MDG file.

We’ve tried it in both EA7.5/Vista and EA8/Vista and the result is the same on both: all searches work except “Describe All Objects”.

On EA8 I was able to edit the SQL. Replacing “JOIN” by “INNER JOIN” removed the syntax error and produced some search results.

Posted: 08 July 2010 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-04

Further info ...

Just tried the “Describe All Objects” on my EA8/XP with the proper MDG 110 and it also fails (DAO 3131 syntax error in FROM clause).

Posted: 08 July 2010 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-04

Thanks, Andy.

Although I can understand EA complaining wrt the syntax for JET it shouldn’t fall over - that is worth notifying Sparx about. It doesn’t explain the difference in treatment by Vista vs XP and Windows 7 other than a different version of DAO.

I’ll generate a quick fix.

The ‘document all objects’ is the beginnings of a means of creating a MV-01 Architecture Description Dictionary - you ought to be able to select the entire table and cut and paste into Excel and you could, if it’s not too much like disappearing up your fundamental wotsit, paste into a document node within the model. That was the thought. Although logically all the content is already there within each element there is something to be said from the UI perspective in having all the definitions within a single place (albeit potential for inconsistency).

Ta

PS Nice break from delving into the Canadian DNDAF. Soon be on to the Scouser one ... the Dey Do Dat Don’t Dey DAF ... wink

Posted: 08 July 2010 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-04

Presumably the problem is in the Sparx code which handles errors returned from searches invoked from views.

I guess it’s possible that in one version a valid reference to an empty table is returned, and in the other an invalid table reference is returned ...

Thanks for your help.

Posted: 08 July 2010 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-04

Not quite as straightforward as I thought - in changing something within the views I’ve managed to pull EA 8 down on Windows 7. Luckily I can load the MySQL backend (much more suited to long term stability / robustness / scalability than JET). There are nice features using JET with EA cf replication/syncing but it does not like anything that interrupts a transaction whether a power cut or whatever and it’s all too easy to lose a file. JET also doesn’t seem to support the SQL you’d use to make searching for and updating elements in a repository easy. Experience also suggests that despite compacting the .eap every now and then you have to export as XMI and re-import into a new .eap to get the file size back down to something sensible (poor internal house-keeping?).

Anyway, still at it.

Posted: 08 July 2010 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-04

Version 0.111 is now available - https://sourceforge.net/projects/mdgfortrak/files/

Posted: 09 July 2010 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-04

Works a treat—many thanks.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed

© 2010 Eclectica Systems Ltd.